Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
women.code(be) is a community that aims to unite women who code that live in Belgium and provide them with a friendly, safe and harassment free environment. We welcome anyone regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, religion or sexuality as long as the following 3 requisites are met:
- You are a developer/engineer or you are currently working on becoming one. We welcome all kinds of developers, even students, as long as you have a firm understanding of the basics of programming. ( In short we basically mean women who code)
- You are currently working/living/studying in Belgium or you used to in the recent past.
- You identify as a woman or gender minority. To be clear about this, basically this means we welcome everyone who doesn’t identify themselves as cis male.
In this document “the admins” refers to the admins/co-founders of this community.
Where does the Code of Conduct apply?
This code of conduct applies to all women.code(be) spaces and events, whether you are participating in or contributing to our community in any way, you are encouraged to follow this code of conduct.
women.code(be) spaces and events:
- The official slack, all its channels (both private & public) and direct messages.
- The official women.code(be) meetup group and its events.
What we consider as harassment and unwelcome behaviour:
- Insulting, demeaning, hateful, or threatening remarks.
- Discrimination based on age, disability, nationality, race, religion, sexuality, or similar personal characteristic.
- Bullying or systematic harassment.
- Unwelcome sexual advances.
- Soliciting, spamming members
- Incitement to any of these.
Consequences of harassment and unwelcome behaviour:
If a person engages in unacceptable behavior, members of the core team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from community events and platforms without warning.
If you are being harassed by a member of our community, or witness someone else being harassed, or feel unsafe by the actions of a fellow member, please contact one of the admins on Slack or send a mail to admins at womencode.be .
Who is who?
Our 2 core team members (and currently also the only 2 admins):
- Eva Brarens
- Claudia Reynders
Events & meetup group
We ask our members to RSVP to our events via our meetup.com space, this is so that we can guarantee a safe and harassment free environment. But also for practical reasons such as communication regarding a specific event. (f.e. In case we change venues or dates for a specific meetup)
Why a strictly Belgian community?
Belgium really falls behind when it comes to supporting/encouraging women in tech and probably women who code in general. At least this is how we feel… Also it just feels like a good place to start, to just focus on uniting the women in Belgium.